Durham Region Housing and Homelessness Information System
Consent to Share Personal & Health Information on the
Homeless Individuals and Families Information System (HIFIS)
This partner agency is part of the Regional Municipality of Durham Shared Homeless Individuals and Families Information System (HIFIS).
What is HIFIS
Organizations in Durham Region are using a shared computer system called HIFIS. This system securely stores your personal and health information.
To help you access the supports you need, it may be important for relevant information to be shared among the partner agencies. With your permission, HIFIS allows each organization to access and share their personal information with each other.
By sharing this information this way, Organizations can provide better services and supports to you. The information also helps to better understand the homelessness throughout Durham Region, so that policies and programs can be improved.
For a full list of community partners using the HIFIS database, please contact Housing Services 905-668-7711, or the agency from which you obtained this consent form.
What we collect
Organizations using the HIFIS system may collect personal and health information including:
- Full Name
- Contact Information
- Date of Birth
- Martial, Family Status and History
- Name, Birthdates and Citizenship of Family and Household Members
- Current Income and Assets
- Employment Status, History
- Housing History
- Service History (including services and programs accessed and applied for)
What we do with your information
- Manage and administer housing and homelessness services and programs now and in the future;
- Verify eligibility for housing and homelessness services funded by applicable municipal and/ or provincial social programs;
- Statistical and research purposes, but that information will be provided only on a collective and anonymous basis so that it will not indicate that it is about you personally. Your name will not be shared. This collective and anonymous information might also be provided to the Region of Durham, the Government of Canada, and the Province of Ontario to support policy analysis, research, and evaluation of existing policies and programs respecting homelessness.
What we won’t do with your information
- Your personal and health information will not be used for any purpose other than for providing services to you and to support research and policy work regarding homelessness.
- The organizations will not release your information without your consent to anyone else except for the purpose set out above and unless there is a legal requirement to do so or a serious concern about your safety or the safety of others.
Your consent will expire 2 years from the date you signed. Once your consent expires you will need to sign a new consent form at any one of the agencies.
You can change your mind and withdraw your consent to share your information at any time. If you do withdraw your consent, you understand that information already in the system will remain in the system, but no future information will be collected for the shared computer system. You can, at any time sign a new consent agreement with any one of the organizations using the HIFIS system.
You have the right to see your HIFIS record, ask for changes, and to have a copy of your record from this agency upon written request.
If you require this information in an accessible format, please contact 1-800-372-1102 ext. 2463.
Once signed, this consent form will be valid for a period of 24 months. By signing below, I acknowledge that I have read this consent form and understand and agree with its content.